Our brains are constantly exposed to stimuli right up to the point that we go to sleep from things like work, study, or even social media. To be able to get a good night sleep, you need to allow your mind to slow down and detox itself around 30 minutes before your bedtime. Here are some steps to help guide you to chillax your busy brain!
- Take a hot bath with essential oils
- Get away from all digital devices e.g. mobiles, laptops, tablets
- Lie down in your bed and take some really nice big deep breaths
- Begin to be grateful for simple things around you, such as your fluffy pillows and your warm bed. Gratitude helps you boost your mood slightly and relaxes you, which will help to ensure that the state of sleep you have is really nourishing for you. And the way that you go to sleep is same as the way you wake up in the morning. So, if you go to sleep in a very calm way, you will wake up in the morning in a calm way as well.
And here are a few reasons why you need a good night’s sleep…
- Sleep helps your brain works properly & concentrate better
- Sleep helps maintain a healthy balance of the hormones that make you feel hungry (ghrelin) or full (leptin). That means you tend to eat more when you sleep less.
- Sleep improves your overall mood & makes you happier
- Sleep deficiency results in a higher than normal blood sugar level, which can lead to diabetes
- Sleep deficiency can raise your risk for some chronic health problems
It’s really important to relax your busy brain in order to get ready for the next challenging day. Don’t forget to always have some time for yourself to unwind for a good night sleep (30 minutes the minimum)!